Griswald Part I
We've all heard the collegiate terms "frat guy," "sorostitute," or "frat rat." What do these terms mean to you as a reader? The ever-present oversized shirts or proud lettering unfamiliar to most throughout any campus is something most college students see every day. On a personal level this means intimidation or even hatred towards those active in Greek organizations. The stereotypes perceived are what have drawn Greek life to a complete halt, and even recession. Every one should know not all "frat guys" or "sorority skanks" are what those on the outside believe.
Firstly, I prefer the term "Fraternity Man." You don't call your country a "cunt" do you, then don't call a fraternity a "frat." Starting with my Dad, Mom, Brother, Sister, and now me; I have grown up never drifting away from wanting to join a Greek organization. Now that I am an active brother of Lambda Chi Alpha I see misconceptions of brothers from different organizations doing it all wrong. Many "greeksters" force themselves to change and mold to what one may think is "cool" or "frat." Screw that, be yourself. Griswald is a name I have attained due to being myself. Griswald is the ability to do whatever I want and really not care about what anyone may think. I dress the way I do because I like it, and I like to think of it as in style. Only sleeping five to ten hours in a weekend is something to do because I will sleep just fine when I am dead. Any action I take is simply an action of Alex A.K.A. Griswald, but I just happen to be in a fraternity. I am an influence in a fraternity first, not a fraternity influencing me.
This is so true! Being in a sorority, I can totally relate. So many people look at the greek community as a group of the same people who do the same exact things, but really we are all as different as can be. I love that you have obtained the name Griswald because that shoes true confidence in who you are. I hope you continue to be yourself and prove everyone wrong. I look forward to your next post.
ReplyDeleteWell, problematic word choice aside, I've seen the story of the abbreviated names before. So be sure to be original in your posting. And littlemisstheatre, if you're in our 255 class, I need to know who you are to give you credit for your comment.
ReplyDelete